Crib Mobile (Finally!)

Back in December I made these cute little birds (pattern found here) for a mobile I had planned for the nursery. Do you guys remember how cute that mobile turned out? No? Oh yeah. I never finished it. I made all those birds and then never got around to assembling the mobile. To be honest, I knew the balancing act that would be, well, balancing the mobile, would be difficult. I thought about it every so often as I transferred it from one to-do list to the next and tried to think of ways I might make it easier. Finally, yesterday, I buckled down and bought the supplies to try and tackle this adorable mobile, with my own twist.

I worked on it last night and this morning (in between feedings and multiple failed naps) and finally have a finished product to share! I even got it hung up.

It was a little precarious getting the hook installed (ok, very precarious) but I got er done. It *may* have involved standing on the edge of the crib, while holding power tools, and I *may* have lost my balance and gotten a big bump/bruise on my shin. Maybe. 

Anyhow, my version includes dowels instead of tree branches (cause I couldn't find branches I was happy with. I'm a perfectionist) and an embroidery hoop . I also staggered my "branches" so that they aren't all linked- two "branches" connect directly to the hoop, and one hangs off of each of those, rather than each hanging off of the one above it. 
Each is secured with two strings because I thought it would make balancing easier. I'm not sure it did, but I kind of like the intermingling of the strings. I also ended up weighing one of the birds (I'm not telling which one) with beans, three pennies, one nickel and two batteries. Its a little surprise for whoever opens these up some day.
I love how different it looks from every angle. I don't love the lighting in these pictures, but it was already hung  when I realized the light available would not be the best, and at that point I was not crawling back up on that crib. I mean, if that even happened :)
I'm pretty happy to finally be done with this project and have something hung up in Charly's room. Hopefully we'll have more progress to report soon!

To Do...

I’ve been a busy little beaver here- between working full time, the Thanksgiving holiday in Utah (which for the first time in probably ever I didn’t stress out about as I packed), Christmas preparations and getting ready for our little girl to join us in January, I have kept my evenings jam packed with to-do lists. I am a devout list maker, and attribute my ability to navigate these happenings of late to my new adorable to-do post-it pad from Target. My husband thought $4 for a notepad specifically made for lists was ridiculous… well look at me now! Thank the lists.
So what have we been able to get done? Well…
Maternity photo shoot

Lots of sewing, including…

Crib bumpers. I used the prepackaged batting and it came with a simple pattern attached. The bumpers are made in 6 equal pieces rather than two long and two short. This should make storage later on a whole lot easier.
A crib skirt- tutorial courtesy of this site
It was super easy to follow and easy to customize for our crib, which doesn’t require as long of a skirt due to its low profile.



Some throw pillows (for the sofa sleeper-not the crib). I didn’t use a tutorial for these. I had some old throw pillows, cut off the fabric and used those measurements to construct new covers. I think they turned out pretty good if I say so myself!

Matt painted this dresser we bought from a yard sale in Roanoke, using a technique from this blog that I love
I love the little vintage vibe of this piece, especially the detail of the drawer pulls, with our more modern furniture.

A changing pad cover (and another on the way) from this tutorial
FYI- my elastic ended up being pretty snug. I’ll add an inch or so of elastic on my next one.

A Boppy cover from this tutorial
It was a surprisingly easy project, although for the second one I’ll use fabric with some stretch since cotton doesn’t move with the contours of the pillow so well. I used a 22” invisible zipper and it worked out perfectly.
I’m currently working on a bird mobile found on this site
I sewed my birds on the machine and haven’t quite gotten to the mobile assembly yet, but I’m excited to see the finished product!


We’ve also decorated for Christmas, which really just meant a garland, our nativity we bought in Mexico, our tree (live!) and a ridiculous amount of shiny wrapping papers. I have an obsession.
Whew. I’m tired just writing about it. Nothing gives me more satisfaction though than checking things off the ole’ list, so I’m feeling pretty good about things.
And speaking of feeling good- I’m just about 36 weeks along and still feel great, although definitely more uncomfortable than before. This belly has been growing a noticeable amount and the baby seems to be measuring right on track. I have no inclinations that she’ll come early at this point, but who really knows. Her room isn’t ready, despite all the progress we’ve made, but for some reason I’m feeling pretty calm about it. I know it will get done- and in the mean time, I’ll keep making my lists.