This, my friends, is the project I was most excited about for Kid's Clothes week. I've been hoarding this plaid linen dress in my refashion box for a couple of months and man am I happy to have used it. This is the top I had in mind when I made the Colonel Mustard Skirt- and I love love how they look together!
The fabric reminds me of a lumberjack shirt, but my little gal would be the one in the tree trying to save it rather than the one cutting it down, so Tree Hugger Top it is!
The pattern I used is the Haven Acres Blouse pattern, soon to be released by Jennuine Designs. I've been testing for her so I get an early stab at it, lucky me! I've made a couple already and I've got another one planned. I made some modifications to it for this top though, which I'll detail below. But first, a before:
Things I loved:
- intuitive construction
- simple, feminine shape
- accurate size- her measurements landed squarely in the 3t range and it fits great!
Things I changed:
- lengthened blouse by 3in to make it more of a tunic
- cut the back on the button placket of the dress instead of a fold
- cut the front bodice over top of the back panel to use the bias cut panel as a design feature
- omitted keyhole (to feature the bias panel) and bound neckline with a clean finish on the back instead of ties
- narrowed the sleeve by 1.5in. Since the shirt buttons down the back now less fullness is required in the sleeve for comfortable dressing. If you make this top with the original design and don't have buttons down the back be very cautious that you don't make it too hard to put on by not allowing enough ease in the sleeve!
- omitted the sleeve elastic
- bound the hem in bias tape
Things I'll change next time:
- I've made it following the pattern exactly and love it that way, I'm sure I'll make another like that!
- I'm toying with the idea of making one in the same mustard sweatshirt fleece as this skirt
Notions & Fabric
- thrifted linen dress
- navy single fold bias tape, ironed in half to make it a narrow double fold bias tape
I'm excited for this pattern to be released! I'll be sharing makes from this 3 piece collection soon- but I'm feeling oh so lucky to have the pattern in time for Kid's Clothes Week!
In other news, we're getting better at the whole photo taking process. Less grumpies (treats are always involved) and I'm getting better shots quicker. Plus these two hams like to pose, so there's that :)
Goofballs. Anyway, I'm feeling good about the photography retreat I went to. Maybe I'll share some pics from that one day- although I think it will just make you all hungry:)